Tuesday, February 1, 2011

No need to pack heat on campus (1-30-2011)

In this article the argument over gun control and concealed carry on college campuses is the main topic.  The rhetors seem very passionate in their anti gun views.

The rhetors are very biased in their article and views.  They are writers for the newspaper at the University of Central Florida.  These writers are very liberal in their views.  The opinion of these college students, is just that, an opinion.  They collectively do not have the ethos to make this argument due to the fact that there haven't been any studies to show whether concealed carry on campus would improve safety.  These writers are stating their opinion, which almost seems along the lines of "guns are bad and kill people all the time."  I don't believe that these writers have stepped back to look at the possibility of students that wish to carry on campus going through strenuous training in order to carry on campus. 

The intended audience for this article is other campuses around the country, as well as the communities that would be affected by a concealed carry on campus bill.  The rhetors seem to believe that the audience has the same views of weapons on campus.  They ask the audience to see that there are other ways to protect themselves than to carry a concealed weapon.  These writers also assume that every person that would carry a weapon on campus would be intimidating to other students on campus. 

I believe this text to be non-academic due to the fact no studies have actually been presented or performed by college universities to show whether or not concealed carry on campus would make campuses safer.  The writers apply to the logo views of many readers.  If readers realize that the statements made in this article are not all completely based on facts, then I feel the argument will weaken. 

I do not agree with this article at all.  I feel that students should be allowed to carry concealed on campus, but that in order to do so, they should receive special training from the police department on campus.  They should also be required to register their weapons and names on campus with the PD.  I have extensive views on how this could work if done right, and am a proponent for the legalization for carrying concealed on campus. 


http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/no-need-to-pack-heat-on-campus-1.2451659

3 comments:

  1. I do wish they would do some sort of study to see what would happen if they let trained students have guns on campus. But, I just don't see what good could come from it. Would the purpose be to prevent school shootings? I think this would just give cops a harder time trying to decide who was doing the shooting if 15 students are having a gunfight. Besides, just because someone can get a license to carry a concealed handgun does not mean they aren't unstable. This is an interesting idea to me though and I agree with you that there should be some sort of research done on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the 9/11 terrorist attack there was a bill past which demanded that every airplane needed to be equipped with a air Marshall for protection. I think something similar should be done on college campuses to protect students and teachers. This will guarantee a safer environment and it will ensure people will think twice before going "trigger happy" on a campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im not sure if I agree with this just because people now a days fight over the dumbest things , so allowing them to carry gun would just give them more power they don't need. Im all for protection of an ones self.

    ReplyDelete